Sunday, December 7, 2014

Day 331, December 7


“Make yourselves nests of pleasant thoughts! None of us yet know, for none of us have been taught in early youth, what fairy palaces we may build of beautiful thoughts, proof against all adversity; bright fancies, satisfied memories, noble histories, faithful sayings, treasure-houses of precious and restful thoughts, which care cannot disturb, nor pain make gloomy, nor poverty take away from us; houses built without hands, for our souls to live in.” --John Ruskin, 19th century writer

I love the imagery of "nests of pleasant thoughts."  I picture happy, industrious birds gathering bits of twigs and straw and angel wings, fashioning nests to shelter their families from a cold world.  We, too, can craft nests.  What thoughts would I put in such a nest?

My gratitude that our tiny (3 pound 1 ounce granddaughter) is now home and growing stronger.
My joy in meeting another granddaughter for the first time.
My pleasure in spending time with my friends.

With so many pleasant thoughts from which to choose, why do I spend so much time and energy on unpleasant ones?  Any answer I come up with is an indictment of my lack of gratitude and my poor attitude.  I resolve to change both.

"The pleasantest things in the world are pleasant thoughts: and the great art of life is to have as many of them as possible." ~ Montaigne

Joy for today:  building nests of pleasant thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment