Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Day 60, March 1

Today marks two months since I started The Gratitude Project. During that time, life has thrown us some curves. People whom I love deeply are undergoing chemotherapy and its bitter aftermath. Others, due to the unrighteous actions of others, are enduring painful divorces. Still others are facing unemployment. On a national and world level, our country continues to suffer from a recession and corrupt leaders; unrest in the Mideast takes servicemen and women away from home and family. There's no getting around it: life is hard.

And yet ...

There are still things for which to be grateful. Sometimes I lost sight of that truth and want to wallow in a cocoon of self-induced misery. And sometimes I give in to that temptation. Then I remember the "and yet ..."

Today, the sun is shining like a benediction. My car starts when I turn the ignition (unless you've had a car that is finicky in its willingness to start, you won't understand what a blessing this is). My kitty looked at me in adoration as I stroked her belly. I received a card from a friend. Small things, yes, but blessings all the same.

So, for today, I am grateful for life's tender mercies and small blessings.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I know what you mean about your car starting each day. (Alice, my car, has 249,000 miles on her and the starter is acting a bit persnickety) I just found your granddaughter, Reynna's blog. I can hardly wait to read it. I glanced at it and saw she is a Justin Bieber fan. . . . .oh those tweenagers!!!
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Small things to be grateful for. . . none of my 5 girls are Justin Bieber fans. Actually, that might be a large thing!

    ReplyDelete