Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Day 68, March 9

Our two grandsons are here for a visit. Brigham (6) and Isaac (3) are at once delightful and exhausting. My husband and I raised five children. Surely we can handle two small boys. We don't get to see them as often as we'd like, and I want to make memories with them.

I have ambitious and not-so-ambitious plans. A trip to the bouncy ball arena where they can jump to their hearts content, and, I hope, come home ready for a long nap. Stories read where they cuddle up to me. Church services on Sunday.

Last night, Larry took them to the grocery store. This is not a small undertaking with two boys each demanding something different. They settled on a sugary, chocolate cereal guaranteed to rot their teeth and graham cracker snacks shaped like the characters from the movie CARS.

As I write this, I hear them arguing over who gets which snack. It takes me back many years when their father (our son) and his two brothers argued over other snacks.

Will they remember these things? Will they remember sleeping together on a hide-a-bed in the family room? Will they remember that Grandma reads the dialogue in books with funny voices and silly faces? Will they remember that we love them?

I hope so.

So, for today, I am grateful for the opportunity to make memories.

1 comment:

  1. I've often wondered "What constitutes a memory" because things that are so vividly imprinted on my mind, my sister has a vague recolletion. I guess we just keep doing things that show our love and pray that the memory will be there. I talked to Milo on the phone yesterday (he was 3 in September) he remebers "fireworks" at our home last July -Yeah!! Have fun, with those boys!!

    ReplyDelete