Monday, March 7, 2011

Day 66, March 7

Yesterday I attended Sunday School class. The teacher gave an excellent lesson on the act of judging. Class members participated, making comments that judging others has inherent dangers. For the most part, I agreed, but I could not help thinking that sometimes we must make judgments.

One sister raised her hand and remarked that some judgments are necessary, particularly when it comes to protecting our families, our children. She suggested that we listen to the Spirit and obey its promptings on when to act. Our wise teacher agreed and thanked the lady for her input.

My purpose today is not to debate the rightness or wrongness of making judgments. My intent here is to commend and applaud the woman who had the courage to speak up. How many times have I failed to do just that because of fear? Fear of offending others, fear of drawing attention to myself, fear of appearing politically incorrect? Too often.

Whether it is in a church class, a PTA meeting, or a political forum, we are all presented with opportunities to tell the truth. In our society which has increasingly grown away from true principles, we each bear a responsibility to bear witness of sacred truths. Yesterday's incident was a minor one, but I know this sister's example will remain with me.

So, for today, I am grateful for individual who have the courage and integrity to speak up and speak out.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mom. We actually were talking about this a bit yesterday in Sunday school. The comment was made that we do make judgments and the scriptures say that we should judge righteously.

    ReplyDelete