Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 62, March 3

I had to smile the other day when I came across a question in an etiquette column asking about the best way to defriend an individual on Facebook. Our technology in the form of social media has presented us with some interesting conundrums. At the same time, I was a bit baffled by the idea of defriending someone.

I grew up in an era where most of us tried to befriend others, rather than defriend them. Funny what difference one small consonant makes, isn't it? It was a different time, with different values and ideals.

The acronym BFF (best friends forever) is currently making the rounds. As always, when confronted with something new, I took my time in deciding whether or not I liked it. After ruminating on it, I decided I did. As a writer, I appreciate the alliteration. As a woman who cherishes her friends, I approve the sentiment.

Best friends forever.

After re-reading what I've just written, I realized I've returned to one of my favorite themes: that of friends and friendship. I can't seem to stay away from it. Perhaps tomorrow I will write about policies in the Middle East. It's not likely, but maybe ...

Friends play a vital part in my life. They ground me and let me fly. They stagger me with their talents and touch me with their love. They rejoice with me. They weep with me. They hug me when I need it and kick me in the rear when that is needed as well. They voice my thoughts aloud when my own voice can't find the words or the strength to be heard. They are, truly, the sisters of my heart.

So, for today, I am grateful for all the BFFs in my life. Best friends forever. And ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment