Friday, December 12, 2014

Day 336, December 12


Christmas is not a time nor a season, but a state of mind. To cherish peace and goodwill, to be plenteous in mercy, is to have the real spirit of Christmas. -- Calvin Coolidge

Knowing that I love inspiring quotes, a friend sent the above to me.  Isn't it beautiful?  

Using President Coolidge's words, we can carry the spirit of Christmas with us throughout the year, just as Dickens's Scrooge promised to do.  How do we "cherish peace and goodwill?"   Cherish is to hold dear to one's heart, to revere, to adore.  If I truly cherish peace and goodwill, I will refrain from getting angry at the driver who cut me off in traffic.  I will refrain from gossiping.  I will refrain from finding fault with my husband.  

Are there positives I can do as well?  Certainly.  I can visit my friend Cathy (who lives in a care facility) more often and take her small but meaningful gifts.  I can write to my elderly aunt who doesn't hear very well and enjoys letters more than phone calls.  I can pray for not only my friends and family but for all those who need an extra dose of the Lord's healing and love.

Joy for today:  cherishing peace and goodwill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment