Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Day 11, January 11

Today I padded into the bathroom, used the facilities, washed my hands, brushed my teeth, and splashed water on my face. Later, I will do a load of laundry and run the dishwasher. All of these activities require water. I am ashamed to admit that I rarely give thought--or thanks--for the abundance of clean, abundant water that is available to me with the turn of a faucet or the push of a button.

As I related in a previous post, my father's ancestors settled in Arizona's Gila Valley in the 19th century. Water was scarce, more precious than gold. Irrigating crops was a laborious undertaking. A water-master was assigned the task of allotting water rights and settling disputes.

With all the technological advances we enjoy today, we still rely on life-giving water. Emergency preparedeness plans always include bringing containers of water. Without it, no other supplies will help in sustaining life.

There is another kind of water that is also life-giving. In talking with the Samarian woman at the well, Christ describes Himself as the "living waters." His Word gives life--eternal life--to anyone who will partake of it.

So, for today, I am grateful for clean water ... and for the living waters of Christ.

2 comments:

  1. Hey there girlie girl, Don't we have the BEST tasting water!! I'm grateful the we are the first to use it after it runs down the mountains and into the treatment plant. No "gray" water for us. I've been the the Gila Valley in Az, and their water is kinda yucky to drink from the tap. I'm with you about the drinking water and the "life water" from He who loves us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Furthermore, my already clean water is run through a filter for drinking. It comes out of the freezer door already cold, but I can add ice cubes also made from filtered water if I want it even colder. (Not likely today!)

    To me the filtered water is like the Book of Mormon. It is ultra-pure.

    ReplyDelete