Thursday, January 6, 2011

Day 6, January 6

My husband and I raised five children. Our home was a cacaphony of noise--raised voices, video games, piano practice, video games, trumpet practice, video games, flute practice, video games. You get the picture.

I reveled in our family, in the activity and sheer energy of our three sons and two daughters. At the same time, I knew I needed moments of quiet. My family quickly learned that Mom needed her "alone time."

Like many writers, I am an introvert. Recently I learned a new definition of introverts: An introvert is one who gathers energy from solitude. (An extrovert, on the other hand, gathers energy from being around others.) While I enjoy attending church, parties, and other events, I need slices of quiet every day to recharge myself.

Over the years, I've learned that controlling my outside environment is often easier than controlling my own unruly thoughts. Negative, fearful, and sometimes downright snarky thoughts impinge upon my mind, making my quest for quiet impossible.

One of my favorite hymns is "Be Still, My Soul," by Katharina von Schlegel.

"Be still my soul:
The Lord is on thy side;
With patience bear
Thy cross of grief or pain."

The beautiful words remind me that the Lord is always there and is, indeed, on my side. When I acknowledge that assurance, my thoughts quiet and my mind is at rest.

So, for today, I am grateful for quiet. In the outside world. And in my soul.

3 comments:

  1. Jane,
    Yes, yes, yes. Having raised seven children, I understand a home exploding with noise; craving solitude and gratitude for quietness.
    Thank you for inspiring us via this journey of gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My childrenm who now have children of their own, understand why there was times I would walk toward my bedroom and say to them: "I just need 20 minutes to myself, then we can do . . . . .(whatever)" and they also understand when I say "I revel in my alone-ness" Keep up this wonderful jounal and reminder of our many blessings. (I played that song on the piano last night - after my grandsons went home to their parents!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the middle of video games, flute, video games, squabbles, piano practice, video games. I need quiet time as well. From my father, I've learned to "fake it" around other people, but my children know better. "What goes to bed at 9pm?" I ask. The kids respond, "Mommy's patience".

    ReplyDelete