Sunday, January 16, 2011

Day 16, January 16

I have always been fascinated by hands. I am fascinated by the look of them, the shape of them, the feel of them. I am fascinated by how they function, how the thumbs and fingers work together to perform tasks as simple as holding a pencil and as complicated as playing a piano concerto.

Some people believe that you can tell a person's character by what is written in their face. I believe that a person's character can be found in their hands, by the marks and lines and blemishes that come from living and loving.

One of my favorite sculptors, Mark Hopkins, fashioned a beautiful work depicting the Lord's hands creating the earth. The idea and process of creating--whether painting a picture, composing a piece of music, or designing a PC (printed circuit) board--fill me with wonder. How did DaVinci paint his masterpieces? How did Handel compose the Messiah? How does my husband design PC boards?

Because I can do none of the above, I am in awe of those who can. I am in awe of their hands. More, I am in awe of their minds and hearts which allow them to see beyond what is there.

A few days ago I wrote about my father's hands. They bore the scars of a lifetime of working and helping and creating a noble life. Another Father's hands also bear scars. Those scars are evidence of His love for us, of His sacrifice that made the Atonement possible.

So, for today, I am grateful for hands that create and for the hands of the Creator.

2 comments:

  1. Marjorie Hinckley said something to the effect that she wanted to drive up to the pearly gates in her station wagon with peanut-butter smeared on her apron from making sandwiches for the neighborhood kids as evidence that she really lived. Thinking of this, I can't help but be in awe at how our Savior really lived, multiple meanings intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aunt Jane,

    I finally took a moment to visit your blog, and I'm so glad I did! I read every post and enjoyed them so much. I admire you for your dedication to this. I think it is wonderful, and I look forward to reading more of your blog through the year. Love you and miss you!

    -Alisa

    ReplyDelete