Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Day 5, January 5

I am not a fancy person. My clothes come from garage sales, as do the furnishings in my home. As previously mentioned, I drive an 18 year old car. It is no wonder that I am equally frugal (some would say cheap) in my skin care.

I live in Colorado where the dry climate is hard on aging skin like mine. Budget and principle prohibit me from spending $100 or more on fancy creams that come in fancy packages. What do I use instead?

Vaseline.

Yes, you heard me right. I use good, old-fashioned petroleum jelly on my face at night. It fills in the cracks and pores, much like spackling fills in the cracks in drywall.

Vaseline, in its humble plastic jar, serves a myriad of other purposes as well. It soothes chapped lips and hands. It protects a baby's bottom from diaper rash. It can loosen a stubborn ring that refuses to come off.

Why am I going on about Vaseline? I'm not a spokesperson for it. I'm certain the manufacturers would want someone far younger and prettier to represent it.

The reason is simple: Vaseline reminds me of some special people in my life, people who quietly serve without drawing attention to themselves. A friend who sees a need in another and sets about to fill it. A cousin who lovingly tends four grandchildren and calls her home "The Granny Farm." A lady in our church who sees to the needs of her seven small children with unfailing good humor and unflagging energy. My sister, who, despite problems of her own, is the first to volunteer to help when someone is in trouble. My husband, who sends flowers not only to me but to this same sister. The people in our church who serve wherever they are called to without fanfare and without recompense.

Contrast these "Vaseline people" to media stars and politicians whose every move is calculated to gain attention and notoriety. Grand gestures to charity are heralded with the "blowing of trumpets." Drunken sprees are heralded in the same manner. Nothing is done without an ulterior purpose.

So, for today, I am grateful for Vaseline ... and Vaseline people.

3 comments:

  1. This is one "slick" post. I'm so loving the way you are expressing yourself in everyday actions and items. This is going to be my favorite time of the day . . . reading your blog and being reminded of the wonderful-ness of the everyday. Thanks Dear Friend

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying your blog ... and I love Vaseline. Although I've never thought about using it on my face. Just on baby bottoms and chapped skin like you mentioned. Hmm. What does that say about me?

    But I like the analogy of Vaseline people who fill in the gaps and soothe the rough spots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane,
    Your blog is delightful and witty--while encouraging us to look away from the glitzy, gawdy and glamorous--to the simple but pricless treasures. Keep it up. What a joy.

    ReplyDelete