Thursday, January 13, 2011

Day 13, January 13

I cannot think of my mother without remembering smells: sun-dried sheets--she was well into her 50s before she had her first clothes dryer; homemade bread--redolent with yeast, whole wheat, and honey; Estee Lauder's Youth Dew cologne--it was her one indulgence.

My mother grew up in Tennessee's Appalachia during the Great Depression. Upon graduating from high school, she dreamed of attending college. It was not to be. Instead she went to secretarial school, obtained a job in Washington, DC, and sent money home to her family.

She married my father, and, when I was born, left her government job and stayed at home. She was there when my sister and I left for school in the morning and again when we returned home in the afternoon. At the time I did not realize what a precious gift that was. When I had my own children, her example influenced my choice to be at home with my children.

After my sister and I left home, she started substitute teaching at the local high school. She read what her students were reading and entertained them with her lively wit. Learning remained a passion with her. Always.

So, for today, I am grateful for my mother ... and for mothers everywhere.

3 comments:

  1. Where would any of us be without our moms. This post brought a lump to my throat. I knew your mom briefly, what a sweetie she was, she raised 2 wonderful daughters who are doing her proud, and are great representatives of an elect lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exquisitely gripping! You have us chuckling with joy and touched to tears as we journey into this New Year--with hearts of gratitude. Thank you, Jane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mother was such a good friend to me. She not only entertained her students with her lively wit, she entertained me. I loved her very much.

    ReplyDelete