Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 25, January 25

Today I have a number of chores to accomplish. Some are more palatable than others. On days when I feel industrious, I tackle the more difficult tasks first, then reward myself with the pleasurable ones. On my lazy days, which are far more numerous, I start with the easy ones and work my way up. I suppose I'm not much different from many other people.

I frequently find myself grumbling over chores and responsibilities. In fact I have raised grumbling to an art form. Still, at the end of completing a task, I feel a certain satisfaction, a sense of accomplishment that boosts my self-esteem.

I wonder about those individuals who have nothing which needs to be done, no one who needs them, no one who depends upon them. What must their lives be like? Do they flit from one meaningless activity to another?

The proliferation of reality shows on television baffles me, particularly those which spotlight people whose only claim to fame is that they are famous. What do the Kardashians do beside put on too much makeup and wear obscenely expensive clothes? What does Paris Hilton do other than to behave selfishly and thoughtlessly? What must they think about themselves when they realize that they have created nothing, produced nothing, contributed nothing?

Would anyone's life be less if these people stopped doing what they are doing? What a sad commentary.

Despite my grumbling, I realize that work is a blessing. Knowing that I have something to get up for in the morning is a blessing. Knowing that others depend upon me is a blessing. Knowing that I have a strong body which is able to work is a blessing.

So, for today, I am grateful for work and things that have to be done.

1 comment:

  1. I, too, am grateful for things to do that make my life meaningful. OK, laundry doesn't seem meaningful, but there is more to raising children than that. Sometimes, at least.

    Looking back on my pre-kids years, I was "busy", but with trivial things. Now I look forward to the time when my children are all out of the house with a mixture of feelings. Finally! I'll have time to do the things that I want to do! I can read more, exercise more, go to the library when I feel like it without saying "shhhh" half the time I'm there. I might even have a clean house. . . and then a nagging doubt starts. Will I really use my time differently than I did before? Have I changed enough, grown enough as a person to have more self-discipline than I did before?

    I just don't know.

    So I'm grateful for each day that I have to be able to grow, so that when I'm finally on my own, I'll be able to handle the freedom and responsibility of independence.

    How old am I again?

    ReplyDelete