Friday, April 11, 2014

Day 101, April 11

"The key is not to prioritize what's on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities."--Steven Covey

Years (and years) ago, I took a class from Steven Covey at Brigham Young University.  This was before he became famous with his books and seminars on organization.  Even then, I understood that his principles for effective living went far beyond the usual and were indeed Christ-centered.

We have probably all seen some kind of day planner.  Perhaps we have even used one, listing the things which we want to accomplish during any given day.  In the past, I have made myself to-do lists.  The trouble with those lists is that I didn't order my day according to my priorities.  I simply listed things that I wanted to get done without thought to how those things reflected my values.

If I truly value my relationship with my family, my friends, and the Lord, would not my list include ways to strengthen those relationships?  Instead, the list often contained such things as laundry, working on an article, or exercising.  Don't get me wrong--those are all good things, even necessary, but they aren't my priorities or what I claim are my priorities.

So what should my list contain?  How about writing cards to my grandchildren to remind them that grandma loves them?  How about reading the scriptures to grow closer to the Lord?

Joy for today:  making my schedule in sync with my values.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment