Monday, February 10, 2014

Day 41, February 10

"One half of knowing what you want is knowing what you must give up to get it."--Sidney Howard

This quote grabbed me by the shoulders and shook me hard.  I have a list of things I want.  When I started to list them, I realized that I had an accompanying list of what I must give up.  The trouble is, I don't want to give those things up.

A couple of cases in point:

I say I want a more giving heart.  What must I give up?  How about the grudges I carry against others?
I say I want a slimmer, firmer body.  What must I give up?  How about cheesecake, pie, and cookies?
I say I want to be a better writer.  What must I give up?  How about the time I spend in watching television and reading.  (Actually I can't give up reading, but surely I can give up a few hours of television.)

Joy for today:  knowing what I must give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment