Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Day 186, July 3

I've written before about my Aunt Mae.  Please forgive me when I return to one of my favorite people and favorite subjects.  Today is her 89th birthday.

Aunt Mae lost her husband and her sister (my mother) on the same day, the same hour.  Her grief was great, but she carried on, serving wherever and whenever she could.

At 89 years young, Aunt Mae continues to send cards to anyone she believes needs an extra dose of love.  She writes to a young man who is currently serving time in prison.  She writes to people she's never met but has heard are suffering.  At Christmas time, she sent over 100 cards to America's service men and women, writing despite having arthritis in her hands   In an age where a hand-written card is nearly obsolete, Aunt Mae shows us that a card or letter can make a difference.

Whenever I think I'm too old to do something for someone else, I think of my Aunt Mae.

So, for today, I am grateful for Aunt Mae.

1 comment:

  1. She truly is a very neat and special daughter of our Heavenly Father.

    ReplyDelete