Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Day 213, July 30

"Don't compare your life to others. You have no idea what their journey is all about."

This was in a list of quotes a friend sent to me.  To be truthful, I didn't love this quote.  It cut too close to home for me, as am I a great "comparer."  Try as I will, I compare myself to my friends and family members.  No surprise--I always come up short.

I am fortunate enough to have scores of talented, compassionate, lovely, beautiful, and brilliant friends.  Why can't I be like them, I frequently lament.  They do everything right.  Their lives are perfect.  They are perfect.

And then I realize that I do them a disservice by assuming that their lives are perfect, that they are perfect, that their journey is without pain.  In doing so, I discount any problems or heartaches or hurts they might have.  (And don't we all have problems, heartaches, or hurts at some point in our lives?)

Maybe I need to start seeing with spiritual eyes rather than envious ones.  Maybe I need to offer something of myself rather than hoarding away any talent I might have.  Maybe I need to be more like the Savior.  (No maybe about it.)

So, for today, I am grateful for those times when I quit comparing and start loving.




No comments:

Post a Comment