Saturday, July 6, 2013

Day 189, July 6

Yesterday I wrote about the hymn "America the Beautiful."  As I read these beautiful words, I noticed that God was mentioned no less than four times in the verses:

"God shed his grace on thee...
"God mend thine ev'ry flaw ...
"May God that gold refine...
"God shed his grace on thee...

The author felt that God played such an important part in the founding and building of our country that she referenced Him in each verse.

When I think of the current trend in our society to remove references of God from our schools, our places of business, our holiday celebrations, and other venues, I weep inside.  How dare we try to remove God from anywhere?

So, for today, I am grateful for Katherine Lee Bates, who acknowledged God in her tribute to America.

No comments:

Post a Comment