Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 204, July 21

In discussing his Sunday School lesson which he is to give today, my husband read part of a story to me from church history. 

Thomas Marsh, president of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in the early days of the church, ended up leaving the church because of an argument his wife had with another sister.  The argument occurred over, of all things, a pint of cream.  The Marshes shared a cow with another family.  They were to share the milk and other products equally.

Sister Marsh kept back a pint of cream.  When the other sister called her on it, Sister Marsh denied her actions.  Her husband backed her up.  They went to church authorities who reprimanded Brother and Sister Marsh.  Tragically, the Marshes left the church.  Even more tragically, anger and pride led Thomas Marsh to denounce church members.  Eventually this led to Governor Boggs's order of extermination from the state of Missouri and the murder of many members of the church.

None of us are exempt from pride, especially me.  My pride has caused me hurt and anguish.  Still, I struggle to give it up.   Even knowing what it is doing to me, I struggle.

So, for today, I am grateful for those who triumph over pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment