Monday, July 29, 2013

Day 212, July 29

A week ago, I related the story of Thomas B. Marsh, who, with his wife, left the church over a dispute over a pint of cream.  Later, I learned the rest of Brother Marsh's story, which I'd like to share with you here.

Nineteen years after he left the church, years filled with anger and bitterness, Brother Marsh made his way to the Salt Lake Valley and asked President and Prophet Brighm Young to forgive him and permit his rebaptism into the church.

He wrote to Heber C Kimball, First Counselor in the First Presidency:  "I began to awake to a sense of my situation ... I know that I have sinned against Heaven and in thy sight."  He then described the lessons he had learned:  "The Lord could get along very well without me and He has lost nothing for my falling out of the ranks.  But O what have I lost?  Riches, greater riches than all the world or many planets like this could afford."

So, for today, I am grateful for those who can put aside their anger and pride.

1 comment:

  1. That is nice to hear that he wanted forgiveness even after 19 years.

    ReplyDelete