Saturday, October 26, 2013

Day 256, October 26

Last week I wrote about accountability.  In our church, when a child turns eight years old, he is typically baptized.  We believe that eight is the "age of accountability," the age when one is old enough to distinguish right from wrong.

Yet there are many individuals, far older, at least in chronological age, than eight who remain un-accountable.  They seem to take delight, even pride, in living off the work and discipline of others.   These are the people who make promises they have no intention of keeping.  These are the people who "borrow" money from friends or family they have no intention of repaying.  These are the people who pledge to show up to a service work project who have no intention of showing up.

By contrast, there are those individuals who make accountability a matter of practice.  These are the people who keep every promise they make.  These are the people who repay any loans with a thank-you included.  These are the people who pledge to show up and then do so.

Do you get the idea that this is a big deal for me (else why would I keep writing about it)?  It is a big deal for me.  It is a big deal as I try to right the wrongs of my past.  It is a big deal as I witness what is happening to our society, our nation, our world when the number of un-acountable people continues to grow.

So, for today, I am grateful for accountable people.







No comments:

Post a Comment