Sunday, October 27, 2013

Day 257, October 27

"When you are suffering and hurt ... there is one thing that is the most dangerous thing of all.  The really, truly, rocky moment is when you think that God doesn't really love you and you are tempted to bail out of the boat.

"The first rule of seamanship is to stay in the boat.  You never better your position by jumping overboard into the sea.  Stay in the good ship of Zion.  I don't care how you do it, just stay.  Our only hope for salvation is inside that boat because the Master is at the helm.  He is the only one who can say with arm to the square, 'Peace be still' ...

"The beach is littered with people who thought they could swim a better route, but there is only One Way ... Stay with the Master and trust that the sea will calm and the ship will come home with you in it."--Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

I have been at that "really, truly, rocky moment" at different times in my life.  That moment when I believed all was lost, that God had given up on me.  Then my more rational self took over and I remembered that the Master was still at the helm, that He had not abandoned me, would never abandon me.

So, for today, I am grateful for the remembrance that "the sea will calm and the ship will come home with me in it."

No comments:

Post a Comment