Monday, October 28, 2013

Day 258, October 28

"The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise."--Tacitus

I admit it--I like safety.  I like security.  I'm conservative in investments, whether they be financial or other.  Safety and security are good, up to a point.  Then they can become stifling.

Eighteen years ago, my husband and a friend jumped off a cliff to start their own business.  There was little safety and no security in such a venture, but they had a dream, a vision, of what that business could become.  Eighteen years later, that two-man operation, housed in one room above a bar, is now a thriving engineering concern, shipping several million dollars of product a year.

There have been lean years, and there will probably be more lean years ahead.  Cash flow and other problems beseige the business, but they presevere.  And still, I cling to safety.  But safety, while giving the illusion of security, can be a trap.

So, for today, I am grateful for those who defy safety to achieve "great and noble enterprises."

1 comment:

  1. Who would have thought that the business would still be up and running and so successful 18 years later? It was definitely a risk but one that paid off, I believe.

    ReplyDelete