Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Day 126, May 6

"Everyone has enough to do in weeding his own garden."  I found this (Flemish) proverb in a book about gardening.  At first I didn't know what to think of this quote.  In truth, it sounded a bit selfish, as though we should be concerned only with our own affairs, our own problems, our own lives.

Then I re-thought the words and realized that if we think of our "own garden" as including our families, our friends, our communities, our churches, our places of work, then the words make sense.  If I am tending to my family, I am weeding in my own garden.  If I am helping a friend, I am weeding in my own garden.  If I am serving in my church, I am weeding in my own garden.  And so it goes.

Joy for today:  weeding in my own garden, wherever that may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment