Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Day 141, May 21

"What reflects us much accomplishes little." -- Schiller

Shouldn't our actions and words reflect us?  Of course.  

But I don't think the author had this in mind.  I believe the words "what reflects us much" refer to those things that we do in an attempt for self-aggrandizement.  I know I am guilty of this.  Don't I want others to think well of me?  Of course, I do.  Ironically, in my self-aggrandizing attempts, I do the opposite. Rather than thinking well of me, others see my pathetic attempts for what they are.

As for the last part of the quote "accomplishes little," I have to ask myself if I were trying to accomplish anything at all with my boastful words.  Sadly, the answer is "No."  At least, nothing of worth.

Joy for today:  reflecting little and accomplishing much.




No comments:

Post a Comment