Monday, September 8, 2014

Day 241, September 8

"In contrast to the institutions of the world, which teach us to know something, the gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something ... The gospel of Jesus Christ is the plan by which we can become what children of God are supposed to become.  Charity is something one becomes."--Dallin H. Oaks

I love the idea of becoming something.  I especially love the idea of becoming charity.  How do you suppose we go about that?  How do we become charity?

If charity is defined as the pure love of Christ, then it would follow that to become charity, that we become like Christ.  That is a daunting prospect.  Become like Christ?  Does that mean I have to give away (well, really, get rid of as no one wants them) my sins?  Does that mean I have to banish mean thoughts from my mind and unkind words from my lips?  Does that mean I have to give up those nasty feelings of jealousy, greed, and envy?

Yes.  Yes.  And yes.

Okay.  Maybe I don't really want to become charity after all.  Maybe I just want to stay me.  But then I'm not becoming anything.  I'm just staying.  Becoming takes work.  Staying only requires maintaining the status quo.

Yes, this is going to take some thought, this becoming. And, more, some action.  I'm leaning toward staying. But I don't really want to stay me.  I want to become ... more.

Joy for today:  becoming.


No comments:

Post a Comment