Saturday, September 20, 2014

Day 253, September 20

"The test a loving God has set before us not to see if we can endure difficulty.  It is to see if we can endure it well. We pass the test by showing that we remembered Him and the commandments He gave us.  And to endure well is to keep those commandments whatever the opposition, whatever the temptation, and whatever the tumult around us.  We have that clear understanding because the restored gospel makes the plan of happiness so plain."--President Henry B. Eyring

That sounds fairly simple, doesn't it?  Live the comandments.   Doing what the Lord has said isn't hard when things are going well.  When life is going my way, I'm happy to do everything He has said.  When things are hard--as they so often are--I start to grumble, to complain, to whine.  And I think (to my shame), "Well, I was trying my best and look where it got me.  Why should I even try?"

The irony is that when things are hard, I need to try even harder.  Someday, maybe I'll figure that out.

Joy for today:  enduring well.




No comments:

Post a Comment