Friday, September 19, 2014

Day 252, September 19

"Procrastination is the fear of success.  People procrastinate because they are afraid of the success that they know will result if they move ahead now.  Because success is heavy, carries a responsibility with it, it is much easier to procrastinate and live on the 'someday if' philosophy."--Denis Waitley

I had never before thought of procrastination in this way.  I've written articles about procrastination, listed strategies for overcoming it, understood that procrastination was fueled by fear, but never imagined that it might be caused by a fear of success.

If asked if we wanted to succeed at our chosen endeavors, most, if not all of us, would say, "Of course."  But perhaps the writer is correct and we fear the success that plunging ahead in what we know we should do will bring.

Do I resist sending out a query or book proposal because I'm afraid that it might be accepted?  Maybe.  And just maybe I'm afraid that if it is, I will be confronted with the "heavy" part mentioned above, the "responsibility" of going forward.

Joy for today:  stop procrastinating and start succeeding.


No comments:

Post a Comment