Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 130, May 10

Last night I watched a program on television where a man asked another the secret of his success. The second man replied, "Showing up."

I belong to several writers' groups. Over the years I've watched some members sell book after book. Guess what the secret of their success is. If you guessed showing up, you'd be right. They put their seat in the chair and write. Writing is one of those things that no one else can do for you.

Another thing that no one else can do for you is being a parent. In the last year, I've observed husbands and wives abandon their families, content, eager even, to abdicate their responsibililties. They failed to show up.

National news is replete with examples of Congressmen and women who don't appear for important votes, who prefer junkets to work, who actually hide out when faced with difficult decisions. They failed to show up.

Thankfully, there are people who show up every day. There is the father who continues to care for his sweet children, doing the large and small things necessary, after his wife leaves them. There are the church members who step in to help a family in need. There is the friend who gives love and encouragement to another who is suffering from depression.

So, for today, I am grateful for people who show up.

1 comment:

  1. You know, I read this earlier, and it has been with me through the day. This is the case with many of your posts. Each day, I look forward to my daily dose of humor, insight, patriotism, nostalgia. . . oh yeah! Gratitude!

    You've "shown up" for 130 days now. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete