Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 151, May 31

Today I saw a news story about parents who were raising their month old child to be gender-free. No one outside the family and the midwife knows if the baby is a girl or a boy. I struggled to understand why seemingly loving and responsible parents would want their child to question his or her identity.

Gender is more than a set of body parts. It is more than whether we buy Tinkerbell panties or Batman briefs for our children or grandchildren. It is more than whether a child plays with trucks or dolls, whether a teenager goes out for football or cheerleading. These are only the outward trappings.

Gender is an inherent part of our nature. We came to earth with a spirit, a spirit that is already defined by strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, talents and, like my singing ability, un-talents. Of course we can work to develop our talents, to build upon what lies within us, but we cannot ignore the signficance of that unique and eternal spirit.

Our spirits are also defined by gender. How do I separate myself from the fact that I'm a woman? Why would I want to? To deny gender, to pretend that it doesn't exist, is not only foolish, it is dangerous. It denies God's wisdom and His plan.

So, for today, I am grateful for the wisdom of the Father's plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment