Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 149, May 29

The other day I watched a decorating and lifestyle program. The theme centered around adding metallic to one's wardrobe, home, and party-giving. Entranced, I sat glued to my seat as the hostess showed me how to gilt my life. Wouldn't it be nice, I thought, to turn my shoes and clothes, furnishings and home, even my toenails, into a glittering array of sparkle.

I've written before about the media's invasion of our everyday lives. We look at movie stars, compare our own un-airbrushed reflections and decide we need a nip and tuck. We peek into the home of a billionaire and wonder why our home doesn't have a built in pool and bowling alley. Dissatisfaction with our appearances, our homes, ourselves is the result.

As I watched the program which showed how to gilt body parts and home parts, I wondered if I it would be more accurate to describe it as how to guilt the viewers into wanting things that don't matter. Am I less of a person because I don't have Jimmy Choo shoes studded with gold and fake diamonds? Is my house less of a home because it lacks cathredral ceilings and frescoed walls?

Today, I walked around our house. Humble pansies glistened with morning dew. Irsises, dressed in royal purple, bloomed in a splash of color and exuberance. Rose bushes, poised to bud in the next few days, swayed gently in the breeze. God had already gilted my world with His beauty.

So, for today, I am grateful for nature's gilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment