Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 251, September 8

Do you ever feel that you are constantly in a hurry? I do. I'm in a hurry for the washing machine to finish its cycle so that I can transfer the clothes to the dryer. I'm in a hurry for the dryer to finish so I can unload it and hang up the clothes. I'm in a hurry at the check-out counter at the grocery store. I'm in a hurry to return home and put the groceries away. And so it goes.
There is nothing wrong with wanting to get things done, to accomplish the tasks necessary to keep a home and family going. Every day, if we're lucky, we have things we must do. We applaud ourselves when we do them quickly and efficiently.
What do I miss, though, when I hurry through everything? I know I missed sweet moments in my children's childhood when I was hurrying them through morning chores. Similarly, I missed quiet, reflective moments when I read to them because I was focused on the next thing to be done.
When I look back on those days, I don't remember the chores that did or did not get done. I don't remember the laundry that didn't get folded or the floor that didn't get swept. What I do remember are those times when I was fully present.
So, for today, I am grateful for times when I remember to savor the moment.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, what was that you were saying? I was thinking about how I need to. . . .

    Thanks for the timely reminder, Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unusual. When asked to retype the security word for that last comment, it was an actual word. That's the first time that's happened to me.

    ReplyDelete