Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Day 270, September 27

Fall is upon us. In many ways, this is my favorite time of year. I love the colors of autumn--ocher and saffron, scarlet and chocolate brown (who could not love a color with the word chocolate in it?). I love the energy of the children who are starting back to school. I love the sounds the leaves make as I tromp through them.
Autumn is a time when we and the earth are preparing ourselves for winter. We shore up our homes. (Those of us who are old enough to remember storm windows understand.) We put our gardens and yards to bed. We pull out our winter clothes, check them for any stains or holes.
What of our spiritual selves? Can we prepare them for winter? Do we need to take them out and brush them off as well? Ideally, we are always caring for our spiritual self. If you're like me, though, you may want to give it a once-over.
Here's a partial checklist:
Am I praying--always?
Am I grateful?
Am I serving others
Am I taking care of myself? (I can't serve others when I'm not physically and emotionally healthy.)
Am I generous with what the Father has given me? This includes not only fincancial resources but energy, time, talents, love.
Doubtless, you have your own checklist. This is just to get you thinking.
So, for today, I am grateful for autumn's reminders.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, autumn is a wonderful time of year. Your checklist is a lot like mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proverbs 31:21

    "She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet."

    ReplyDelete