Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 252, September 9

Yesterday I wrote about being in a hurry. Sometimes life reminds us to slow down. Sometimes aging bodies force us to slow down. And sometimes we slow down because we realize that what seemed so important only moments ago actually matters very little.
When life threw us a curve last December, we let go of holiday plans, work, writing projects, and everything else to be with a child who needed us. We flew halfway across the country to help our son through a crisis.
You've probably had similar experiences, dropping everything to be there for a family member or a friend who needs you. If you're like me, you take a deep breath and then you dig in and get to work. That work takes different forms. It may mean babysitting grandchildren. It may mean holding a grieving sister while she cries. It may mean turning your life upside down so that you can simply be there.
So, for today, I am grateful for reminders of what is important ... and what isn't.

1 comment:

  1. Why is it that I can drop my everyday things so quickly in favor of something urgent, or even some wonderful surprise, but I can't seem to prevent the stress of the everyday from bunching up in my shoulders and spewing out of my mouth? I need some serious perspective help!

    ReplyDelete