Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 265, September 22

Well, here I am writing about gardens again. This may seem a bit strange for those who know me and know that I'm not a gardener, but I have always been impressed by those who do garden. I wonder if gardeners understand life more fully than those of us who don't grow possess this talent.
The gardener understands that some plants provide sustenance and some provide beauty. Isn't that the way in life? Each of us has something that we can give. Few of us can do it all. Have you noticed that while we are generous in cutting others slack, not expecting them to be perfect or to do it all, that we are often less generous with ourselves?
Do you expect yourself to do everything and to do it perfectly? I hope not. When I was a young mother, I made deliberate choices, knowing that I couldn't do everything. I could read to my children or I could mop the floor. I couldn't do both, at least not at the same time. I could nurse my new baby or I could clean out a closet. Guess what? At that time in my life, I chose reading and nursing.
Did you notice the words I used? "At that time in my life ..." Later, I mopped the floor and I cleaned the closet. So, maybe I could "do it all." But I couldn't do it all at the same time.
Maybe that's what the gardener knows that the rest of us are only now learning: we can do everything we want to do, but we have to choose what order in which we do it.
So, for today, I am grateful for the freedom to make choices in wisdom and order.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Jane. REading and nursing it is. The floors need to be replaced anyway.

    ReplyDelete