Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 271, September 28

A few days ago, I had the privilege of listening to a woman in our church give a powerful message of inspiration. Among the things she spoke of was what she wanted her granddaughters to know. It set me to thinking about my own granddaughter.
Reynna is eleven, soon to turn twelve. She hovers on that cusp of teenage-hood, at once a little girl and a young woman. What do I want her to know?
Do I want her to gain an education? Of course.
Do I want her to gain an appreciation of beauty? Again, the answer is, of course.
Do I want her to know that she is precious to me? More than I can say.
Do I want her to understand that hers is an eternal spirit? Yes.
Do I want her to understand her role as a daughter of God? Oh, yes.
I want so much for her. I want her to be happy. I want her to feel good about herself. (Too often, our daughters and granddaughters' self-esteem flounders as they reach the precarious teenage years. How I wish I could spare her that.) I want to protect her against the evils of the world. More, I want her to have the tools to protect herself, to lead a life of valor and honor.
So, for today, I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of my granddaughter's life.

1 comment:

  1. I'm grateful that you have the opportunity to be a part of her life, too. We women need each other, whether young or . . . otherWISE. Let's focus on the last part of that word and not the word it replaced!

    ReplyDelete