Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Day 23, January 23

"God has two dwellings:  one is in heaven, the other in a meek and thankful heart."  (From the book, THE DIVINE ADVENTURE)

When I started to read this quote, I somewhat smugly finished it for myself, with words such as "... one is in heaven, the other is in a happy home."  Or some such thing.  That would have been an acceptable if predictable ending for it.

But the author was far wiser than me.  He knows that God resides in heaven and in a heart filled with gratitude.   Perhaps that is why I sometimes feel far removed from God, because my heart is not filled with gratitude.  It is filled with reproach, questions, and even resentment as I plod about my daily activities, which is why I started a blog on gratitude in the first place.

I need daily (or hourly or minute by minute) reminders to be grateful.  It does not come naturally to me.  Try as I will, I don't have a grateful or thankful heart all the time.  It is cluttered with the questions and pains and disappointments of this world.

So, for today, I am grateful for those with a "meek and thankful heart" which invites God inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment