Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 156, June 5

The other night, Larry and I attended the backyard wedding reception for the daughter of friends. Simple but elegant decorations, lovingly-prepared food, and the company of friends made it an enjoyable and memorable occasion.

I couldn't help but compare it to the overdone, overly expensive weddings touted by the media. In such events, hundreds of thousands of dollars are spent on flowers, on the dress and jewelry, on the food and drink, etc. When I happen to see the reports on these affairs, I wonder if the brides and grooms are any happier, any more committed to each other, any more in love with each other than this young woman and her husband.

It appears that I continue to return to the theme of show versus substance. As I grow more mature in my thinking (code for older), I appreciate more and more those things--and people--which hold value as opposed to those that are merely meant to impress.

The fact is, I am rarely, if ever, impressed by events and people who are ostentatious in their displays of wealth and power, beauty and fame, or any other of the qualities that the world holds dear.

So, for today, I am grateful for being able to attend our friends' reception and for the reminder it offered that family and friends, faith and love, are priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment