Monday, June 27, 2011

Day 178, June 27

God, through His infinite wisdom and His children, provides just what we need when we need it. Just as I pondered on what I should write for today's blog, a friend sent me the following quote by Mother Theresa:

"God is a friend of silence. See how nature -- trees, flowers, grass -- grow in silence. See the stars, the moon, the sun, how they move in silence. The more we receive in silent prayer, the more we can give in our active life. We need silence to be able to touch souls. The essential thing is not what we say, but what God says to us and through us. All our words will be useless unless they come from within. Words which do not give the Light of Christ increase the darkness."

What beautiful words. They rival the finest in poetry. Notice how the author compares nature's growth with our own and that both flourish in silence. I find in my own relationships that I learn more when I am quiet than when I am chattering away. Nowhere is that more true than in my conversations with God. After I have finished my pleading with Him for mercies and thanking Him for blessings, I try to listen. Too frequently, though, I am anxious to move on to the next part of my day to spend the time necessary to hear His words.

So, for today, I am grateful for the reminder of the need for silence.

1 comment:

  1. Silence is also a necessary part of music. We call the silent spaces "rests". These wonderful silent spaces are increasingly taking a backseat in modern music, making some of us call it noise. Music does reflect life, and I believe that rest has had it's reputation altered. Now "rest" and "lazy" are nearly synonymous, and rest can hardly be found in our lives. I would probably need fewer guilty pleasures (chocolate, etc.) if I took the rest that I need without feeling guilty.

    By the way, have you ever noticed how much work there is in productive rest?

    ReplyDelete