Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 170, June 19

In previous posts, I've written about my Mormon ancestors. My grandfather served two missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Samoa, at his own expense, each lasting three years. He left behind a wife and young family. Following direction from the Prophet, my great-grandfather moved his family from their comfortable brick home in Santaquin, Utah to settle in the Gila Valley of Arizona, an unforgiving land populated by gila monsters and little else.
In each of these cases, the wives and children supported their husbands and fathers in their decision to obey the Lord's commands. These individuals knew the meaning of sacrifice. The word sacrifice, from the Latin sancire, means to make sacred.

Chances are you have similar stories in your own background, ancestors who sacrificed for their faith, for their families. But we need not look generations back to find examples of sacrifice.

I have only to look around me to witness examples of sacrifice. I have several friends who are raising their grandchildren, providing not only a home but time and energy as well to help these newest of God's children to have a good start in life. I watch members of our church give countless hours every week to serve the Lord. I look at my son rearing his two small boys on his own, giving up much to make sure his children are provided for.

So, for today, I am grateful for the sacrifice of others and the inspiration it offers.

No comments:

Post a Comment