Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 163, June 12

I whine. I moan. I complain. It is an unattractive quality. Whining is annoying in children and downright obnoxious in adults. Still, I persist in doing it. As the saying goes, "Would you like a little cheese with that whine?"

The fact is, whining serves a purpose. Not necessarily a noble purpose, but a purpose all the same. Whining helps me sort out real friends from those merely passing through my life.

Over the years, I have made some really terrific friends. They accept me, warts and all, as I am. What's more, they listen to me, even when I resort to whining. When they need a waterproof shoulder, I am there (or try to be) for them.

You know who your "whining buddies" are. They are the ones who show up within five minutes when you call and say, "I need you." They are the ones who know chocolate is a comfort food and bring that comfort when they arrive. They are the ones who make you want to be a better person when you're around them.

So, for today, I am grateful for whining buddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment