Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 257, September 18

Every luxury must be paid for, and everything is a luxury, starting with being in this world.

Cesare Pavese

I admit it--I'm a sucker for a good article on budgeting.  Inevitably such articles make the distinction between needs and wants--or luxuries.  Some of us have become so accustomed to our luxuries that they have become needs.

The above quote reminds me that everything we have, including our very lives, are luxuries, all courtesy of a loving Father.  Do you complain, as I have, that you need a bigger house?   Do you whine about what you don't have? 

You're not alone, for most of us are subject to such moments.  When I stop and ponder, however, how much I do have, I shake my head at my lack of  gratitude.   When I am able to find the maturity and wisdom to recognize that, I understand that I have everything--and more--that I need materially?  My real need is a softer heart and a more forgiving nature.

This I know for sure:  whatever we have first belonged to the Father. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, yes. I complain about my blessings every day. Although, when the kids get particularly loud, a bigger house does edge it's way over into the "need" category! As do earplugs! Earplugs are cheaper.

    ReplyDelete