Saturday, December 15, 2012

Day 345, December 15

"Abundance is ... knitting needles and a ball of yarn."--Candy Paull

I love this view on abundance.  It reminds me of some special people in my life.  My mother-in-law was a multi-talentend woman,  who was able to sew, crochet, and knit beautifully.  Many of her creations went to her grandchildren, who loved the handmade things with which she gifted them. 

As well as treating her grandchildren to these lovely fashions, she also made things for our church's Humanitarian projects.  She knitted anything that could be knit and donated them with a loving heart.  One of the things she did which most touched me was to knit bandages for individuals suffering from leprosy.  These she made with a very fine needle and yarn, the delicacy of the bandages a testament of the care she took with every stitch.  When she passed away, her daughters and a son-in-law finished many of her projects and donated them tot the Humanitarian Services in her name.  What a tremendous legacy.

I have a dear friend who not only pens wonderful, heart-felt novels but also dresses dolls which she donates at Christmas time for children who live in shelters.  These dolls closely resemble American Girl dolls, with handmade clothes, including tiny handknit sweaters.  Each doll is unique, a quiet expression of my friend's love for these children who have so little.

This I know for sure:  when we give of ourselves, we give everything.

1 comment:

  1. I love this quote. Abundance lies in our potential. Of course, if I don't use my potential, then I'm squandering my abundance.

    ReplyDelete