Monday, June 3, 2013

Day 156, June 3

Today is my nephew David's birthday.   David was born several months after the birth of our daughter Alanna.  When his mother returned to school to do her student teaching, I tended David, frequently propping him up on my lap to nurse while I nursed Alanna.  (He doesn't want to hear about that!)

David is my sister Carla's son.  For that reason alone, he is very dear to me.  However, he is special for many other reasons as well.  He has a lively sense of humor, a deep appreciation for literature and the arts, and a genuine compassion for society's older members. 

When Carla's and my mother was dying of cancer, David, who had experience in care-giving, flew from his home in the west to stay with our parents until the end.  He tenderly cared for our mother in countless ways, easing her last days and relieving my father's mind that she did not have to go to a nursing home.  He was there to comfort Carla and me when the end came. 

So, for today and for every day, I am grateful for David.

1 comment:

  1. David has a special place in my heart also. When Travis about 12 or 13...too young to stay at home during the summer alone.....too old to want to go to "summer camp" I had David "watch" Travis. What a relief for everyone in our home, Travis felt he was on his own, and David was there to ride herd over Travis and Nick and Joe. He's a life saver on many fronts. I too am grateful For David.

    ReplyDelete