Sunday, June 23, 2013

Day 176, June 23

In the same stake meeting which I referenced yesterday, a General Authority (a church leader) spoke on kindness. His words so touched me that tears stung my eyes. The examples of kindness he gave were simple things, perhaps even insiginficant, except when you consider the consequences of those acts.

I wonder why I withhold kindness sometimes. Does it make me feel superior when I can deny a kindness to someone else? Does it make me feel powerful? Does it justify my own hurt because that person was not kind to me in the past? Probably it's all of those. And more.

I think of the kindnesses extended to me and how they lifted me from the doldrums, from depression, from self-absorbtion. Why would I want to deny those sweet feelings to someone else? I can't find a good reason. In fact, I can't find any reason at all.

So, for today, I am grateful for those who are kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment