Saturday, November 5, 2011

Day 309, November 5

Larry and I have reached that time in life when things keep happening. You probably know the kind of things I mean. The yucky things. The tear-your-heart-out-of-your-chest things. The make-you-weep-till-you're-hanging-over-the-toilet things.
Recently, several dear friends have been dealing with cancer. Cancer is that elephant in the room. It is spoken of in hushed whispers and only after a furtive look around, because you don't want to talk about it in front of someone who is dealing with it, or, worse, someone whose loved one is dealing with it.
But my friends are cut from a different cloth. They put it right out there in the open. They talk about it. They laugh about it. And, yes, sometimes they cry about it.
All of those take courage. Tremendous, mind-blowing courage. The kind of courage I don't have. I admire my friends more than I can say. I admire their knuckle-down-and-let's-deal-with-this attitude. I admire their optimism. I admire their unwavering faith.
So, for today, I am grateful for courageous friends.

1 comment:

  1. Courage is being afraid, but continuing anyway while laughing in the face of danger. That's what kind of courage they are showing. In the process, they are teaching us how to live.

    ReplyDelete