Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day 331, November 27

Do you remember Dorothy's line from The Wizard of Oz, "There's no place like home?"
Never have those words had more meaning to me than now, when I've been gone from my home for over two weeks. Don't get me wrong. I love traveling. I love visiting my sister and other family. I loved being able to attend my son's weddding.
But it's good to be going home.
Home, for me, is a modest house in Loveland, Colorado. We've lived in this house for over thirty-five years. That must be some kind of record in our very mobile society. Four of our children came to us since we've been in this house.
When Larry and I started discussing the possibility of an addition or of moving, I chose the addition. How could I leave the home where my children took their first steps, learned to talk, learned to play the piano and a myriad of other things?
Home is more than four walls. It's more than an addition. It's more than a remodeled bathroom. It is a place of refuge. It is a place of worship for most of my prayers are said in my bedroom as I kneel at the side of my bed. It is a place of love.
So, for today, I am grateful to be going home.

1 comment:

  1. Jane, I'm with you. LIterally, in this case, since we're neighbors. Other places have their beauty, and I love visiting new places, friends, and family, but there is truly no place like home. Puumba (the great philosopher) said, "Home is where your rump rests". I disagree. Home is where your memories and love rest.

    ReplyDelete