Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 332, November 28

Are you as weary as I am of hearing about the "occupy New York, occupy Denver, occupy Salt Lake" etc movement that has swept our nation? People, apparently with nothing better or more important to do, have decided to "occupy" public parks, streets, wherever they can set up their tents and sleeping bags.
Why? Because they don't feel that they should have to repay loans they have taken out. "We don't want to repay our loans," they cry. "They're too high. We'll never get out from under this debt." These individuals have a sense of entitlement that rivals any I've ever witnessed.
Why should they repay their loans? Why, indeed? What about for the simple reason that it's the right thing to do?
I know. That sounds simplistic, naive, even. Despite my advanced years, I plead guilty to those charges.
I contrast the attitude of these "occupiers" to that of others, people who haven't enjoyed nearly the same opportunities but who remain dedicated to doing the right thing, to paying their debts, to behaving honorably and honestly. Our world is filled with such people, but they rate little attention from the media.
So, for today, I am grateful for those who pay their debts.

1 comment:

  1. Instead of occupying various cities, parks, and streets, perhaps they should occupy someplace with more room. There seems to be plenty of space between their ears.

    I'll work on charity, I promise.

    ReplyDelete