Monday, November 21, 2011

Day 325, November 21

To nurture: to cultivate, care for, and make grow.
I ran across this definition recently. It intrigued me. Sociologists and psychologists frequently engage in the debate of nature versus nurture. Does nature play the major part in a person's development or does nurture?
I believe that the two work together and who can say where one leaves off and the other picks up? But answering that question isn't the purpose of today's blog.
Do you have people in your life who nurture you? I hope so. I pray so. For we all need nurturers in our lives. When we are young, our parents are our primary care-givers. As we grow, other people come into our lives who also provide nurture: friends, teachers, sisters, spouses, etc.
I can identify many nurturers in my life. There is my sweet husband who is always there for me. There are my children and sister and friends, each of whom bring something different in their care. The other day, my sweet daughter, who knows I love to send cards, brought me a packet of her hand-made cards. In doing this, she was nurturing me. When I send a card to a friend, I, in turn, am nurturing her. And so it goes.
So, for today, I am grateful for all those who nurture.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad I could help nurture you and that you can in turn nurture those around you. It's definitely a cycle.

    ReplyDelete