Sunday, November 13, 2011

Day 317, November 13

An ancient prophet gave the encouragement, "By small and simple things are great things brought to pass."
I've always loved this scripture. It reminds me that I do not need to possess great talents or skills or courage to make a difference in the world.
Most of us will not lead a nation out of bondage as did Moses. Nor will we build an ark to save our families and friends from an earth-sweeping flood. (I don't know about you, but I'm relieved to know I probably won't be called upon to do those kinds of things.)
But what can I do?
I can pray for someone who is sick.
I can send a card to a friend who is lonely.
I can listen.
I can tend a grandchild.
I can embrace a friend who is grieving.
By the same token, I have been the recipient of many small and simple things. A comment on this blog lifts my spirits. A hug from a grandchild warms my heart. Whispered words of "I love you, Grandma" from a long distance grandchild do the same.
What are the small and simple things in your life? Are you like me, a grandmother who dotes on anything to do with her grandchildren? Are you a teacher like my future daughter-in-law and delight in watching a child grasp a new skill?
So, for today, I am grateful for small and simple things.

No comments:

Post a Comment