Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 319, November 15

We are probably all familiar with Paul's discourse on charity in the New Testament. Defined as the "pure love of Christ," charity makes us sensitive to the needs of others and prompts us to act on that sensitivity.
In speaking to the women of the church, Prophet and President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints says this. "Charity is having patience with someone who has let us down. It is resisting the impulse to become offended easily. It is accepting weaknesses and shortcomings. It is accepting people as they truly are. It is looking beyond physical appearances to attributes that will not dim through time. It is resisting the impulse to categorize others."
When I first read this, I was taken aback by the Prophet's words. Am I being uncharitable when I lose my patience? Am I uncharitable when I become offended? Am I uncharitable when I fail to accept weaknesses and shortcomings in others ... and myself? Am I uncharitable when I fail to look beyong physical appearances and categorize others? Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
As always, President Monson challenges us to do more, to be more than we are. Taking a meal to a family in need is not hard. Forgiving the person who has offended or wronged us is. Sending a card to a lonely friend is not hard. Seeing beyond an individual's faults and weaknesses is. Well, you get the point.
So, for today, I am grateful for a prophet's wisdom.

1 comment:

  1. That's why I am grateful that charity is a gift. I could never manage it on my own.

    ReplyDelete